- Fresherslive »
- About »
- International Day of Yoga 2020: Important date, History, International Day of Yoga Theme, Significance
International Day of Yoga 2020: Important date, History, International Day of Yoga Theme, Significance
Updated: Jun 09, 2020 18:10 IST
International Day of Yoga 2020: International Day of Yoga is celebrated on June 21 every year to create awareness globally about the benefits of practicing yoga. Read more information about International Day of Yoga, history, International Day of Yoga theme, significance from the articles.
International Day of Yoga 2020
The first International Day of Yoga was observed on June 21, 2015, around the world. Yoga helps to live in a healthy body with a healthy mind. It embodies unity of mind, body, and soul. Yoga is not a spiritual practice that is followed by a particular religion, caste, or people. It can be practiced by anyone who wants to lead a happy and healthy life. International Day of Yoga is also named as World Yoga Day.
What is Yoga?
Yoga is an ancient practice in India aimed to develop harmony in mind, body, and environment. Yoga is a physical exercise that is performed through breath control, diet, relaxation. Yoga produces a union of body, mind, and soul to bring about a state of calmness.
What is the history of International Day of Yoga?
Yoga is considered to be 5000 years old and originated from India. The word yoga is derived from Sanskrit which means ‘unite’. The idea of International Day of Yoga was proposed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2014.
PM Narendra Modi also suggested 21st June as International Yoga Day because 21st June is the longest day in the Northern Hemisphere and has much significance in different parts of the world. On 11 December 2014, UNGA proclaimed 21 June as the International Day of Yoga by passing resolution 69/131. Yoga is considered as an invaluable gift of India's ancient tradition. Yoga will help one to change their lifestyle and create consciousness, it can help in well being.
What is the theme of International Day of Yoga 2020?
The theme of the 6th International Day of Yoga 2020 is “Yoga at Home and Yoga with Family”. Due to COVID-19, this year International Day of Yoga will be celebrated virtually at 7 am on June 21 so people will join through digital platforms.
The 6th International Day of Yoga(IDY) was scheduled to be held as a major event in Leh, capital of Ladakh on June 21, 2020, which will be led by PM Narendra Modi. This was announced by Minister of State for AYUSH, Shripad Naik on March 11, 2020. The highlight of the observation of the 6th International Day of Yoga is a 45-minute yoga drill based on Common Yoga Protocol (CYP). Because of the Corona outbreak, the Ministry of AYUSH cancelled the mass gatherings and decided to celebrate as a digital event.
What is MY LIFE, MY YOGA?
MY LIFE MY YOGA or JEEVAN YOGA” is a video blogging competition initiated by PM Narendra Modi on 31 May 2020. It is a joint effort by the Ministry of AYUSH and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
- My Life My Yoga contest aims to create the transformative impact of yoga on the lives of individuals and become participants in the observation of 6th International Day of Yoga 2020
- This contest went live on the social media handles of the Ministry of AYUSH on 31 May 2020
- The contest will be conducted on 2 levels. In the first level, an international video blogging contest will be conducted wherein the winners will be picked within a country. In the second level, selection of global prize winners who will be selected from different countries
- Participants can enter under three categories: youth under 18 years, adults-above 18 years, yoga professionals
- Interested participants must upload a three-minute video of three yogic practices namely kriya, asana, pranayama, bandha, or mudra, including a short video message/description on how the said yogic practices regulate their life.
- For India contestants, prizes worth Rs.1 lakh, 50,000, and 25,000 will be given for first, second and third-ranking within each of the categories. For the global level, cash prizes worth $2,500, $1,500, and $1,000 along with a trophy and certificate will be given to the rank holders.
What is the significance of Yoga?
Yoga helps in balancing the physical, mental, and soul parts of the body. Due to the enormous significance in yoga, the practice of yoga has increased in the last few decades. Some of the benefits of yoga practices are listed below:
- Lower stress levels
- Increases flexibility
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves lung capacity
- Relieves anxiety
- Relieves chronic back pain
- Lowers blood sugar in diabetics
- Improves sense of balance
- Stronger bones
- Healthy weight
- Lowers risk of heart diseases
- Improves brain function
- 1 Rabbit saw 9 Elephants Riddle
- National Statistics Day
- World Asteroid Day
- World Music Day 2020
- World Diabetes Day
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020
- What 9 letter word is still a word riddle
- Emancipation Day
- Windrush day
- International Day of Yoga
- Autistic Pride Day
- World Hydrography Day
- Kannada Movie Download
- Penny Has 5 Children Riddle
- Hindi Movie Download
- I Turn Polar Bears White Riddle
- Telugu Movie Download
- Malayalam Movie Download
- International Picnic Day
- World Sauntering Day
- Corpus Christi
- Queen's Birthday
- World Brain Tumour Day
- Two Father and Two Sons Riddle
- How Can A Leopard Change Its Spots Riddle