- Fresherslive »
- About »
- World Diabetes Day 2020: Important date, History, World Diabetes Day Theme, Causes & Symptoms of Diabetes
World Diabetes Day 2020: Important date, History, World Diabetes Day Theme, Causes & Symptoms of Diabetes
Updated: Jun 10, 2020 12:39 IST
World Diabetes Day 2020: World Diabetes Day is observed on 14 November all over the world to create awareness about diabetes impacts and educate the people about preventive measures of diabetes. Get the information on history, the theme of World Diabetes Day, causes, symptoms, and treatments of diabetes in this article.
World Diabetes Day 2020
World Diabetes Day is celebrated on 14 November in a huge number of ways. World Diabetes Day is a globally-celebrated event and it is the world's largest diabetes awareness campaign because it has 1 billion audiences from 160 countries. Hundreds of campaigns, activities, and meetings are conducted worldwide in spreading the message and raising awareness about diabetes.
What is the history of World Diabetes Day?
World Diabetes Day was started by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 1991 in reaction to the rapidly growing health threat posed by diabetes. In 2006, with the passage of United Nations Resolution 61/225, this day was officially announced as World Diabetes Day. It was celebrated on 14 November because it was the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting, who discovered insulin with Charles Best in 1922.
The campaign of World Diabetes Day is represented by a global symbol which is a blue circle. It was adopted in 2007 after the passage of the UN resolution on diabetes. The symbol represents the unity of the global diabetes community in response to the diabetes epidemic.
What is the theme of World Diabetes Day 2020?
The theme of World Diabetes Day 2020 is “The Nurse and Diabetes”. This year due to COVID-19, International Diabetes Federation (IDF) has joined with leading diabetes organizations to reduce the risk for people with diabetes.
What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a metabolic disease that causes high blood sugar levels. The insulin hormone moves sugar from the blood into the cells to be stored or used for energy. If the insulin hormone made by the pancreas is not enough means the glucose from the food stays in the blood and does not reach out to the cells. Over time, too much glucose in the blood will cause health issues like hyperglycemia. Diabetes is also known as Diabetes Mellitus.
What are the types of Diabetes?
Diabetes is generally classified by type, based on causes. The common types of diabetes are type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes
Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. The immune system of the body destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Type 1 is common in children and young adults but it appears at any age group. So people having type 1 diabetes need to take insulin every day to maintain the body glucose level under control.
Type 2 diabetes
This is the most common type of diabetes and 90% of the cases are type 2 diabetes only. It occurs often in adults and older aged people. In this type, the body does not make use of the insulin that it produces. For this, some people take oral drugs and some will take insulin to keep the glucose level under control.
This type of diabetes develops in some women during pregnancy. And it goes away after pregnancy but both mother and child are at high risk of type 2 diabetes in later life.
What is the cause of diabetes?
They are different types of causes for different types of diabetes.
Causes of Type 1 diabetes
Still, doctors don’t know the exact cause of type 1 diabetes. The immune system of the body mistakenly attacks and destroys insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. So, the level of insulin hormone decreases. This causes an increase in glucose in blood levels.
Causes of Type 2 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes develops from a combination of genetics and lifestyle factors. Overweight makes your cells more resistant to the effects of insulin on your blood sugar.
Causes of Gestational diabetes
This type of diabetes is due to the hormonal changes during pregnancy. The pregnant woman’s cells are less sensitive to the effects of insulin because of the hormone produced by the placenta.
What are the symptoms of diabetes?
Diabetes symptoms vary from person to person depending upon the blood sugar levels. Some of the common symptoms are as follows:
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Unexplained weight loss
- Presence of ketones in the urine
- Blurred vision
- Slow-healing sores
- Frequent infections
What are the treatments for diabetes?
The treatment for type 1 diabetes is insulin. Based on the condition of the person's blood sugar level, doctors will give an insulin injection.
The treatment for type 2 diabetes is medication and maintaining a proper healthy lifestyle by doing exercise and in the diet. Some people may require insulin based on their body sugar level condition.
The treatment for gestational diabetes is a regular monitor of blood sugar levels during pregnancy. In some cases, regular diet and exercise are enough but in some other cases, medication or insulin is required.
Key facts about Diabetes
- Around 463 million adults were living with diabetes. It will rise to 700 million by 2045
- 79% of adults with diabetes are living in low and middle-income level countries
- 1 in 5 people have diabetes who are all above 65 years
- 1 in 2 people with diabetes are undiagnosed
- Per year diabetes causes 4.2 million deaths
- More than 1.1 million children and adolescents are having type 1 diabetes
- 374 million people are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes
What is the 2019 theme of World Diabetes Day?
In 2019, the theme of World Diabetes Day was “Family and Diabetes”. The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) had set the title to raises awareness and promote the role of the family in treatments, management, education and it also supports the affected people.
- Virgin Bhanupriya Full Movie Download
- Dil Bechara Full Movie Download
- Shakuntala Devi Full Movie Download
- The Expendables 3 Full Movie Download
- Lootcase Full Movie Download
- Yaari Dosti Full Movie Download
- Siruthai Full Movie Download
- Coach Carter Full Movie Download
- Gandhi Fer Aa Gea Full Movie Download
- Raat Akeli Hai Full Movie Download
- Inttelligent Full Movie Download
- Surya The Soldier Hindi Dubbed Full Movie Download
- Utraan Full Movie Download
- Ee Nagaraniki Emaindi Full Movie Download
- Moothon Full Movie Download
- 10 Kalpanakal Full Movie Download
- The Assassins Full Movie Download
- Dil Se Full Movie Download
- Alien Hunger Full Movie Download
- Siruthai Full Movie Download
- National Statistics Day
- World Asteroid Day
- World Music Day 2020
- World Diabetes Day
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020
- What 9 letter word is still a word riddle
- Emancipation Day
- Windrush day
- International Day of Yoga
- Autistic Pride Day
- World Hydrography Day
- Kannada Movie Download
- Penny Has 5 Children Riddle
- Hindi Movie Download
- I Turn Polar Bears White Riddle
- Telugu Movie Download
- Malayalam Movie Download
- International Picnic Day
- World Sauntering Day
- Corpus Christi
- Queen's Birthday
- World Brain Tumour Day
- Two Father and Two Sons Riddle
- How Can A Leopard Change Its Spots Riddle
- Mr Blue Lives in a Blue House Riddle