1. Home » 
  2. Topics » 
  3. India


The first patient who was administered recovering plasma therapy on compassionate grounds in Delhi has now fully recovered and was discharged on Sunday with a promising prognosis. The patient had been weaned off ventilator support seven days ago at the Max Hospital in Saket. Delhi's 49-year-old male patient had tested positive for Covid-19 on April 4. Check more details here.

by Monika

Updated: Apr 27, 2020 09:42 IST

Tags: India Corona
Article continues below advertisement

Plasma Therapy treatment successful on the first patient in India.

With moderate symptoms and a history of respiratory issues, the 49-year-old patient was admitted to the East Wing of the Max Hospital, which is a Covid-19 facility on April 4. The patient's condition deteriorated during the next few days, and he soon required external oxygen to maintain saturation.

He developed pneumonia with Type-I respiratory failure and needed ventilator support on April 8. His family requested the hospital authorities for the administration of plasma therapy on compassionate grounds, the first kind of treatment mode used for this disease in India when the patient showed no improvement in his condition.

The family arranged a donor who had recovered from the infection (as per two consecutive negative reports) for extracting plasma three weeks before her donation and again tested Covid-19 negative at the time of donation along with other standard tests to rule out infections like Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and HIV. The 49-year-old critically-ill patient was administered fresh plasma as a treatment modality as a side-line to standard treatment protocols on the night of April 14.

According to doctors, a single donor can donate 400ml of plasma, which can save two lives, as 200ml is adequate to treat one patient.

The patient showed progressive improvement after receiving the treatment and, by the fourth day, was weaned off ventilator support on the morning of April 18, Saturday and continued on supplementary oxygen, after that. He had started taking oral feed within 24-hours of being away from ventilator support. He was shifted to a room with constant monitoring on Monday after testing negative twice within 24 hours.

With sustained efforts by a team of doctors comprising Dr. Omender Singh, Dr. Deven Juneja, and Dr. Sangeeta Pathak, along with all frontline healthcare workers including junior doctors, nurses, GDAs and lab technicians among others, the patient was finally discharged today. He will be home quarantined for another two weeks as per government guidelines.


DMCA.com Protection Status