This State in India Offers Cashless Health Insurance to all its Citizens.

A state in India offers free health insurance to all its citizens. Yes, you heard it right. The state provides cashless health insurance during these crucial times. Curious to know which state it is? Read on.

Updated: May 04, 2020 13:48 IST

|

Monika

|
This State in India Offers Cashless Health Insurance to all its Citizens.

Free Health Insurance in Maharashtra.

In these dark times of the Coronavirus pandemic, Maharashtra Health Minister has announced that they will be offering free cashless insurance to all the citizens of the state. Maharashtra is the first-ever state in India to implement such a scheme!

The government of Maharashtra, Rajesh Tope, has stated that free health insurance will be offered to the citizens of Maharashtra. This scheme will be implemented under the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana. Moreover, the insurance will be free for all citizens of the state. However, the citizens will be asked to produce valid documents to avail of the insurance, such as ration card and domicile certificate. Tope said, “The government has signed an MoU with the General Insurance Public Sector Association (GIPSA) for treatment of COVID-19 patients at private hospitals in Pune and Mumbai.”

This insurance covers 85% of the population as of now, but it will be extended to the remaining 15% as well, as stated by Tope. Also, he said that from now on, the state government, semi-government employees, and white ration cardholders would be able to apply for this scheme. This has been done to make sure that private hospitals abstain from overcharging patients. The minister also revealed that there would be different plans designed for all the diseases, which will help standardize treatment fees at all hospitals. Earlier, 496 hospitals were a part of this scheme, and now, more than 1000 hospitals will be included in the same project.

As per reports, Maharashtra is the worst affected state with the most number of confirmed Coronavirus cases. The state has reported as much as 10498 confirmed cases, with 1773 patients recovered, and the death toll stands at 459.