World Environment Day 2020: History, Significance, Plastic Pollution, Environment degradation, how is World Environment Day 2020 celebrated and Quotes
Updated: Jun 09, 2020 17:45 IST
World Environment day: World Environment day 2020 is celebrated on June 5 every year. It is the principal vehicle of the United Nations for encouraging awareness and for the protection of our environment. It also aims to raise awareness on emerging environmental issues to human overpopulation, global warming, sustainable consumption, wildlife crime, and many more. Get more information about the World Environment Day, its benefits and Significance in this page.
World Environment Day 2020
World environment day is the biggest annual event in the world run by the United Nations to mark the environmental awareness among the people. It is celebrated to raise awareness to protect our nature and look at various environmental issues that are growing day by day. Nature gives us a lot to live but we humans made it only ours and we are returning a lot to die. Wake up before it is too late. Let us come together and make this world livable for everyone. It is expected that World Environment Day 2020 will definitely make a change in saving trees, saving forests, and saving our environment.
Why is the World environment day 2020 observed?
The aim of the World environment day celebrations is to raise awareness and protect our environment. This day is celebrated with a new theme every year to learn and share ways to save our environment. The aim of world environment day focusses and reminds us of the increasing environmental issues. It motivates people to plant more trees and be mindful of our harmful activities. We should protect the environment which protects the survival of human life on earth. People should contribute their efforts by planting more trees, reducing waste, recycling, and reuse things. This aim insists that it is our duty to keep our environment safe and clean for a better tomorrow.
What is the World Environment day 2020 theme?
The theme for World Environment day 2020 is “Celebrate Biodiversity”. The day will be hosted in Colombia in partnership with Germany. Colombia is one of the largest megadiversity nations in the world to hold 10% of the planet in biodiversity. As it is a part of the Amazon rainforest. Colombia ranks first in bird and orchid species diversity and second in plants, butterflies, freshwater fish, and amphibians. Biodiversity is vital to the survival of all life on earth and is also the cornerstone for the goods and services of the environment that allow human societies to thrive. Biodiversity provides us with food, water, and resources as well as services such as climate control, pollution, flood mitigation, and cycling of nutrients. Biodiversity comprises three primary types: Species diversity or Genetic diversity, Species diversity or Animal diversity and Habitat diversity, or Ecosystem diversity.
What is the Importance of World Environment Day 2020?
World Environment Day 2020 focus to reconnect human with nature. Natural systems support the well being of humans and other living beings on the planet. Humans are a part of nature and depend on it. More and more people are starting to understand that we need to sustainably manage our planet’s resources and ecosystems. However, that belief is far from universal. That’s why World Environment Day 2020 is so important.
World Environment Day provides an occasion to raise awareness and teach friends and family that the physical environment is fragile and indispensable. The environment has become increasingly polluted with contaminants and toxins and they have a harmful impact on our health. They can cause respiratory disease and cancer. By raising awareness of the issues with the air that sustains us, World Environment day 2020 inspires us to do something about it and fix the environment we can’t live without it.
History of World Environment Day
World Environment Day was first observed in 1974. It has been a flagship campaign for raising awareness on emerging environmental issues to marine pollution, human overpopulation, global warming, and wildlife crime. World Environment Day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 on the first day of the Stockholm conference on the Human Environment, resulting from discussions on the integration of human interactions and the environment. Later, in 1974 the first World environment day was observed with the theme “Only one Earth”. Even though World Environment day celebrations have been held annually since 1974, in 1987 the idea for rotating the center of these activities through selecting different host countries began.
How is the day celebrated?
World Environment Day is widely celebrated in more than 143 countries in the world. It is popularly called "People's Day". The day is celebrated to show care and support for the earth and our environment. On this special day, people recycle recyclable materials in their homes including plastic, glass, paper, and scrap materials. People plant more trees in their garden and travel by public transport. Some people compost by sorting out food waste. We all should contribute by planting more trees, reducing waste, recycling, and reuse things. World Environment day 2020 inspires us to do something about it and fix the environment without which we can't live.
In December 2020, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) is resolved to review progress in achieving sustainability since the 1992 United nations conference on environment and development at a summit-level meeting the world summit on sustainable development. Developing countries should diversify their enemies in order to reduce the dependence of commodity exports. Environment and trade policies should be mutually supportive. Poverty and environmental degradation are closely interrelated. Poverty results in environmental stress, while global environmental deterioration is an unsustainable pattern of consumption and production.
2019 Theme and Celebration
The theme for the World Environment Day 2019 is “Beat Air pollution”. China hosted the 2019 world environment day. The theme was decided as it revealed that the people worldwide do not breathe clean air. It costs the global economy a $5 trillion global economy every year because of air pollution. 80% of agricultural land is used for livestock feed. People drove their cars as seldom as possible instead of public transportation or bicycle. They stored their meals in reusable containers and avoided putting them in plastic or paper bags. They also considered planting more trees in their garden if there is enough space.
The special quotes that are written for World Environment day 2020 to raise awareness and teach friends and family that the physical environment is fragile and indispensable.
- Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed - Mahatma Gandhi
- What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another - Chris Maser
- A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people - Franklin D. Roosevelt
- He that plants trees love others besides Himself - Dr. Thomas Fuller
- Climate change is a terrible problem, and it absolutely needs to be solved. It deserves to be a huge priority - Bill Gates
- Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left - Aldo Leopold
- I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment - Pat Buckley
- Environmental degradation, overpopulation, refugees, narcotics, terrorism, world crime movements, and organized crime are worldwide problems that don’t stop at a nation’s borders - Warren Christopher
- We won’t have a society if we destroy the environment - Margaret Mead
- The environment is everything that isn’t me - Albert Einstein
- Geetha Govindam Full Movie Download
- Mrs. Serial Killer Full Movie Download
- Kanni Maadam Full Movie Download
- Gentleman Sathya Tamil Dubbed Full Movie Download
- Ponmagal Vandhal Full Movie Download
- It’s My Life Full Movie Download
- Penguin Full Movie Download
- Nisabdham Full Movie Download
- Door Ke Darshan Doordarshan Full Movie Download
- Gulabo Sitabo Full Movie Download
- Iroko TV
- Choked: Paisa Bolta Hai Full Movie Download
- Tubi Tv
- Yahan Sabhi Gyani Hain Full Movie Download
- National Statistics Day
- World Asteroid Day
- World Music Day 2020
- World Diabetes Day
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020
- What 9 letter word is still a word riddle
- Emancipation Day
- Windrush day
- International Day of Yoga
- Autistic Pride Day
- World Hydrography Day
- Kannada Movie Download
- Penny Has 5 Children Riddle
- Hindi Movie Download
- I Turn Polar Bears White Riddle
- Telugu Movie Download
- Malayalam Movie Download
- International Picnic Day
- World Sauntering Day
- Corpus Christi
- Queen's Birthday
- World Brain Tumour Day
- Two Father and Two Sons Riddle
- How Can A Leopard Change Its Spots Riddle
- Mr Blue Lives in a Blue House Riddle