- Fresherslive »
- About »
- Global Wind Day 2020: Know Importance, Theme, Campaigns, Global Wind Day Quotes, Important Dates
Global Wind Day 2020: Know Importance, Theme, Campaigns, Global Wind Day Quotes, Important Dates
Updated: Jun 09, 2020 17:47 IST
Global Wind Day 2020: June 15 is observed as the annual Global Wind Day. It puts into the limelight the domain of wind and wind energy and celebrates the innovations that have been made in the fields. The day brings an opportunity to learn more about the less understood Wind industry. This article contains information on Global Wind Day 2020, purpose, themes, events, Wind Energy, How Wind Energy is produced, and how Global Wind Day is celebrated.
Global Wind Day 2020
Global Wind Day is jointly organized by Wind Europe and Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). The day was conceived for giving the public an opportunity to understand the importance of developing wind energy resources, amongst which is the possibility of decarbonizing the environment as wind energy is a cleaner energy source. It also promotes economic growth by creating new jobs in the energy sector. Almost 91 countries all over the world have already adopted wind energy models, with China alone producing more than 30% of the global share of wind energy. Global Wind Day was first observed in 2007 and extended to the global level in 2009.
How Wind energy is produced?
The process by which wind is used to generate electricity is called wind energy. When air is moved due to uneven heating of the atmosphere, variations in the earth's surface, and earth’s rotation, it leads to the occurrence of Wind. Wind energy is produced by using the wind to turn turbines, which spins a generator that it is connected to and results in the production of electricity. Wind farms consist of many wind turbines that are connected to an electricity transmission network which allows them to deliver energy to other places. It is a renewable resource as wind is an inexhaustible source of kinetic energy. It is more effective than the traditional use of exhaustible fossil fuels to create energy, as the extraction of fossil fuels is undertaken at a great environmental cost.
How is Global Wind Day celebrated?
Wind Europe, Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), and other associations organize a series of events to introduce the world of wind energy to the public. Public events are conducted, which include family visits to wind farms, seminars with industry experts, and interactions with public figures. A popular event is the ‘Future Wind Photo Competition’ that receives entries from photographers across the globe. The public can organize independent events and receive visibility through the official organizers. Some of these events were football tournaments, creative writing competitions, press conferences, and the inauguration of wind farms. Children are also encouraged to be involved in the festivities by speaking about renewable energy and creating art projects for which resources are available on the official site globalwindday.org
Wind Energy in India
Tamil Nadu is the largest producer of wind energy among Indian states, contributing to 24% of the total volume. The wind farm at Muppandal alone has an installed capacity of 1500 MW and is India's largest onshore wind farm. The Indian Wind Energy Association (InWEA) was set up in 2002 to guide the development of the wind energy sector in India. They also emphasize sustainability and advocate the adoption of wind energy as an alternative to more carbon-intensive methods of electricity production. In terms of total wind installations, India ranks the global fourth, only after China, the USA, and Germany. The total wind installed capacity is around 37,794 MW as of 31 March 2020. It contributes to 6-7% of the country’s electricity generation. The Wind Power Programme has risen in importance after the Prime Minister, Sh. Narendra Modi committed to a renewable energy target of 175 GW by 2022.
Global Wind Day 2019
In 2019, the Future Wind Photo Competition was centered around four major themes: Local Impact, Boosting Economies, Beyond Wind, and Visionary Wind. Each of the categories came with a prize of 1000 euros. The focus was on how Wind energy could reduce emissions, create jobs, and improve the quality of the atmosphere. In 2011, events were held across 30 countries on four continents. These events included trips to offshore and onshore farms, demonstrations to explain the working of turbines, wind-related workshops and interactions. In 2009, Portugal celebrated the day with a ‘Wind Parade’. 2012 saw Global Wind Day partners organize up to 250 events all over the globe.
Global Wind Day Quotes
- We can create a more sustainable, cleaner and safer world by making wiser energy choices - Robert Alan Silverstein
- It is time for a sustainable energy policy which puts consumers, the environment, human health and peace first - Dennis Kucinich
- As yet, the wind is untamed, and unharnessed force; and quite possibly one of the greatest discoveries hereafter to be made will be the taming and harnessing of it - Abraham Lincoln
- Today, wind is the cheapest energy in America; solar is not far behind. In time, fossil fuels will only get more and more expensive. - Mark Ruffalo
- We need to bring sustainable energy to every corner of the globe with technologies like solar energy, mini-grids, solar powered lights, and wind turbines. - Ban Ki-moon
- Rely on renewable energy flows that are always there whether we use them or not, such as sun, wind, and vegetation: on energy income, not depletable energy capital. - Amory Lovins
- 1 Rabbit saw 9 Elephants Riddle
- National Statistics Day
- World Asteroid Day
- World Music Day 2020
- World Diabetes Day
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020
- What 9 letter word is still a word riddle
- Emancipation Day
- Windrush day
- International Day of Yoga
- Autistic Pride Day
- World Hydrography Day
- Kannada Movie Download
- Penny Has 5 Children Riddle
- Hindi Movie Download
- I Turn Polar Bears White Riddle
- Telugu Movie Download
- Malayalam Movie Download
- International Picnic Day
- World Sauntering Day
- Corpus Christi
- Queen's Birthday
- World Brain Tumour Day
- Two Father and Two Sons Riddle
- How Can A Leopard Change Its Spots Riddle