- Fresherslive »
- About »
- World Bicycle Day 2020: Why Celebrate World Bicycle Day? Benefits of Cycling, World Bicycle Day Images, Significance and Quotes.
World Bicycle Day 2020: Why Celebrate World Bicycle Day? Benefits of Cycling, World Bicycle Day Images, Significance and Quotes.
Updated: Jun 09, 2020 17:44 IST
World Bicycle Day 2020: World Bicycle Day or World Cycling Day is celebrated every year on June 3rd to commemorate the importance of cycling, Benefits of Cycling, and physical fitness. World Bicycle Day article provides all details about World Cycle Day Images, World Bike Day, Bicycle Day Facts, Bicycle Day Significance, Benefits of Cycling, and much more. Wish you all a Happy Bicycle Day!
History of World Bicycle Day
In the year 2018, April, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) announced 3 June of every year as World Bicycle Day. The day is the result of Leszek Sibilski's campaign and the help of Turkmenistan and 56 different nations to commemorate World Bicycle Day. This day was marked by numerous events and initiatives around the world, including at the UCI's very own World Cycling Centre (WCC) in Aigle.
Benefits of Cycling:
Lower risk of heart disease: According to scientific research, going to your workplace by cycling or walking can lower the risk rate of developing and dying from cardiovascular disease (CVD) or stroke. It shows that those who use cycling to travel have an 11% lower risk of developing cardiovascular disease (CVD) and around 30% lower risk of fatal CVD. Keeping regular cycling as a hobby has almost 45% lower risk of fatal CVD. Even those who are not daily commuters but occasionally bicycled get an 8% lower risk of all-cause mortality.
Reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes: University of Southern Denmark’s research reveals that cycling can help to bring down the risk of Type 2 diabetes. They found out that those who regularly cycled were less likely to develop type 2 diabetes. Even those who started regular cycling at a later age still benefited themselves from a 20% lower risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes compared to non-cyclists.
Extra weight loss: Researchers from the UK who compared the daily modes of transport of nearly 150,000 participants learned that cycling was one of the most effective forms of exercise for keeping fit and losing weight. Those who cycled to their workplace had lower BMIs and body fat than those who walked.
It’s safe for sexual health: The University of California’s research found that male cyclists’ sexual and urinary health was better than swimmers’ or runners’. Researchers from UC San Francisco also found that high-intensity cyclists may benefit from improved sexual function.
Benefits of Bicycles to the Environment
Environmental and ecological journals say that using bicycles can be of great benefit to the environment:
- Using bicycles can help cut down on greenhouse gas emissions and global climate change as there is no use of petrol and fuel.
- Reduces air pollutants (walking and biking emit no greenhouse gases).
- Reduces noise pollution and congestion.
- Reduces the need for new parking lots and roadways, as it requires very little space to stand.
- Using bicycles as your vehicle every day will save valuable green space from development and also your health will be great.
- Reduces your ecological footprint.
Why Celebrate World Bicycle Day?
Interesting Facts about Bicycles
- A bicycle is a simple, affordable, reliable, and environment-friendly means of transportation.
- A bicycle can serve as a tool for development and a source of access to education, health care, and sport.
- The usage of a bicycle allows the user to get an immediate awareness of his local environment.
- Bicycle is considered as a symbol of sustainable transportation and fuel saving.
Importance and Effects of World Bicycle Day
- World Bicycle day focus to dedicate particular attention to certain policies and programmers to include bicycles in national and sub-national development.
- It aims to mend road safety and incorporate it into sustainable cycling mobility and protect pedestrian safety.
- The observation of the World Bicycle day emphasizes the use of bicycles as a means of strengthening education, including physical education, preventing disease, promoting tolerance, mutual understanding, and facilitating social inclusion.
- The day encourages the world countries to adopt best practices and means to develop and promote the culture of cycling in society.
World Cycle Day Quotes
“Riding bicycles will not only benefit the individual but the world at large.” - Emeritus Professor of Environmental Policy, Berlin,
“No comparison of the simple pleasure of a bike ride.” - John F. Kennedy
“When you are riding hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall; otherwise you’re not riding hard.” - Former US president George Bush
“People love cycling but hate cyclists.” - Peter Zanzottera,
“The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.” - Iris Murdoch, ‘The Red and the Green’
“A bicycle is an industrial revolution in an individual’s life.” - F. K. Day, founder and president, World Bicycle Relief, 2012
“We are not blocking traffic, we are traffic.” - Cycle advocacy slogans
World Cycle Day Amid COVID-19
2020 has been a stressful year for all of us. There have been no big activities reported around the world ever since the virus outbreak. There are over 6.4 million affected cases all over the globe as on World Bicycle Day with a death toll of over 3.5 lakh. Though the number of recovered cases are increasing, people are still reluctant to carry out their regular activities.
- 1 Rabbit saw 9 Elephants Riddle
- National Statistics Day
- World Asteroid Day
- World Music Day 2020
- World Diabetes Day
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020
- What 9 letter word is still a word riddle
- Emancipation Day
- Windrush day
- International Day of Yoga
- Autistic Pride Day
- World Hydrography Day
- Kannada Movie Download
- Penny Has 5 Children Riddle
- Hindi Movie Download
- I Turn Polar Bears White Riddle
- Telugu Movie Download
- Malayalam Movie Download
- International Picnic Day
- World Sauntering Day
- Corpus Christi
- Queen's Birthday
- World Brain Tumour Day
- Two Father and Two Sons Riddle
- How Can A Leopard Change Its Spots Riddle